Friday 7 October 2011

Java: End of the Chapter

Someone asked in the comments for yesterday's post what my end goal is. I, uh....don't know. I just like learning shit, application can come afterwards. I do have a few ideas for things I want to make, but I'm not sure if Java will be the language I use to make them, or if some other language will be better suited. I suppose time will tell, but basically, I'm doing this whole thing for the sheer fuck of it. Enjoy!


We're more or less done with inheritance. There's more info in the book about overriding methods (If you have a subclass with a different implementation of a method available in the superclass) and hiding names (Same deal, but for variables and how then to access the super-variable), but I seriously doubt they'll be of any use in most cases. Just use a different method/variable name, right? If you feel like I should go over these things anyway (and more, but again, things I think will find very little use), let me know. 


Otherwise, we have 3 more chapters to get through before it gets REALLY technical, or based more on testing units of code and the programming process for large projects and groups. Shit like that. Good to know, but more on a case-by-case basis, I plan on looking them up if I ever need them, but relying on basics otherwise. The 3 chapters we have left are to do with exceptions, concurrency with threads and finally, Graphic Interfaces. I can't wait for that last one, personally.


I'll get on it tomorrow, though, my brother borrowed my textbook, and he won't be back home until late in the evening.


Questions welcome! Comment, follow, subscribe, share etc, and see you tomorrow!


And as part of a shameless plug for a friend, if you're interested in classic movies/books/music, visit his site here (fixed), and feel free to throw loads of criticism at us. 

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait for more lessons. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I just like learning shit" hahaha, i love that mentality. Keep this series up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad i was sick for most of them :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good way to see things. If you are thirst for knowledge you will do just fine. I will be here tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking forward to th next lot of lessons :D

    ReplyDelete